Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

SuperCard Official Forum

Forgot password?
 register
Author: PentiumMMX

FBA4DSTWO: FBA Emulator finally on DStwo   [ Promote this link! ]

Props
Online time
17 Hours
Post time 4-1-2017 16:54:38 |Show all posts
GG34 replied at 3-1-2017 17:57
It can not run "DONPACHI.ZIP".

sorry, donpachi doesn't work, but the clone, donpachijp works, outzone doesn't work, outzoneb does.

Use magic Report

Props
Online time
28 Hours
Post time 7-1-2017 05:39:15 |Show all posts
I just realized CP1 games were Capcom games.  I didn't know what you were talking about. And cave makes shooters from around 1994.  I didn't know that was the main focus of this emulator.  Mame4all seems to do most companies: sega, konami etc.  So in all, it seems that this emulator runs a lot less roms than mame4all.  Im still glad you made it though...Perhaps I will just use it for Capcom stuff. and for Neo geo, I already have neods which runs most games perfectly Anyway.
It would be great to have an all in one emulator one day, with most roms running, but that would be quite a task for whoever develops it.   

Use magic Report

Props
Online time
17 Hours
Post time 9-1-2017 15:30:31 |Show all posts
azwel replied at 6-1-2017 09:39
I just realized CP1 games were Capcom games.  I didn't know what you were talking about. And cave ma ...

yep, FBA supports far less games than mame, mame4all is definitely the best choice if you want an all in one emulator. But for DStwo even mame4all need to be split into multiple instances because of the RAM limit: the emulator itself(mostly executable codes) need RAM to load. if not split, the emulator itself may not be loaded to a 32M RAM. even it can be loaded, there's little space left for roms/games. the split version of mame4all (about 3 mega each) still can run out of RAM for large games, not to mention a all in one version. so basically it is not quite possible to have a real "all in one" emulator on DStwo, unless DStwo gives a hardware upgrade - a bigger upgrade than DStwo plus.

Use magic Report

Props
Online time
17 Hours
Post time 9-1-2017 15:34:04 |Show all posts
azwel replied at 6-1-2017 09:39
I just realized CP1 games were Capcom games.  I didn't know what you were talking about. And cave ma ...

the FBA4DSTwo I'm currently working on, has a cache system to partially load roms to same RAM usage, with a cost of a little lower speed.  That's why it can handle some large games.
the cache system can be added to neogeo emulations to support neogeo games, but may need a lot of work and with a unknown result/emulation speed.

Use magic Report

Props
Online time
0 Hours
Post time 15-2-2017 13:23:03 |Show all posts
Edited by Indy at 9-3-2017 01:54

First at all a big...no...an huge thanks to to keep the scene alive espcially with a great M.A.M.E. emulator !!!

I've posted my feedback on GBATemp but here is a copy with the +, the - and suggestions

The + :
1. a new and great emulator for nds
2. easy to install
3. faster than mame4all for the big cps1 games
4. easy menu
5. intuitive gameplay
6. great potential maybe a bigger or similar compatibility list than mame4all in the future ?
7. soft reset to return to the dstwo menu
8. with mame4all, fba is a great way to complete a little bit more the mame catalog

The - & suggestions:
1. no settings for vertical scale or zoom view for shoot them up like 1941, 1945kiii...
2. no controls settings
3. no automatic bottom black screen off when you play, it could be useful to save a little bit the battery
4. compatibility list has to be defined (it will comes with the time)
5. Konami, DATA EAST, Irem games & cps2 roms over 8mo doesn't seems to work.
6. very heavy files in the cache, the cache folder need to be cleaned regulary maybe it could be interesting to include an option to erase individually these files directly from the ds with the emulator
7. roms are listed by adds and not in the alphabetical order
8. roms are listed by zip name, it's not a big deal and of course you can read the title of the game you play at the bottom of the screen but a list system like mame4all should be better.

FBA4DSTWO is compatible with an EZ Flash 3in1 ?

For my tests, I'm using a ds lite + EZ flash 3in1 (I don't know if it's useful with fba) + DSTwo+ (of course^^)

Here is the working roms I've tested (275 games + 2 bioses):

Games runs with minor problems (inverted screens and controls or no crontrols response) but impossible to play with :

mazinger---------> inverted screens and controls
aburner2---------> no crontrols response
gemini------------> inverted screens and controls
sharrier----------->no crontrols response
avengers----------> inverted screens and controls
chasehq--------->no crontrols response
contcirc---------->no crontrols response, no sound
contra--------> inverted screens and controls
explbrkr-------->inverted screens and controls
enduror-------->no crontrols response

Games with runs fine but with GFX problems

metmqstr
sailormoon
theroes
badduddes
tmnt
burningf
lresort
blazstar
breakers

Games runs fine but slow

dondokod
gunfront

Games loads files but don't run

bayroute
bgaregga
cotton

First conclusion :

Very impressive work for a first public version ! FBA works fine with cps1 games (better than mame4ll for some games), Taito and SEGA games (except for somes games like space harrier, after burner 2, enduro racer or chase hq, the games works fine but the problem comes from the controls), cps2 games works but only roms under 8mo, most of the Konami, DATA EAST and Irem games are not recognized, some Banpresto roms runs fine but most of them have gfx problems, most of NeoGeo games have creepy gfx too except prehistoric isle (this game runs perfectly), for some games (generally old games like commando or black tiger) the sound is buzzy, switch the sound from stereo to mono to fix the problem, big roms can be a little bit longer to load but it's ok, beware of the cache files there are very big (especially for PGM roms), if you don't have too much space on your sd, it will be better to clean the cache folder regulary.

Note : There is a graphical bug with the roms tmnt.zip series and mia.zip series (Konami roms), to fix it, I use gberet.zip, mia.zip and toppyrap.zip (SemiCom rom) here is the procedure to follow:

1.run tmnt.zip, then once the rom is loaded, press select + start to return to the menu (gfx bad)
2.run gberet.zip, then once the rom is loaded, press select + start to return to the menu (gfx ok)
3.run mia.zip, then once the rom is loaded, press select + start to return to the menu (gfx bad)
4.run toppyrap.zip, once the rom is loaded, press select + start to return to the menu (gfx ok)
5.run tmnt.zip, now gfx are ok

Same method for mia.zip, in the same order (1.mia.zip, 2.gberet.zip, 3.mia.zip, 4.toppyrap.zip, and 5.mia.zip)

I've made an alternative plugin bmp file here is the link :
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xehu26z7o9w67yo/fba4dstwo

Use magic Report

Props
Online time
124 Hours
Post time 22-3-2017 07:39:32 |Show all posts
I am glad someone is still giving the DSTWO some love, I tried it and you have done wonderful work congratulations. Will you be working on anything else on the DSTWO?

Use magic Report

Props
Online time
17 Hours
Post time 22-6-2017 19:37:23 |Show all posts
Indy replied at 14-2-2017 17:23
First at all a big...no...an huge thanks to to keep the scene alive espcially with a great M.A.M.E.  ...

Thanks! Really appreciate your feedback.
There's more works to do and more bugs to fix, I'll continue on another spare time.

Use magic Report

Props
Online time
17 Hours
Post time 22-6-2017 19:42:48 |Show all posts
xskullx replied at 21-3-2017 11:39
I am glad someone is still giving the DSTWO some love, I tried it and you have done wonderful work c ...

Yeah, I'm glad that somesone is still interested in DSTWO like me.

Hmm, I'm happy to working on something else, only not quite sure if I have enough time. Actually I'm new to DSTWO and most important, I'm quite busy in work recently.
Current plan is to improve FBA4DSTWO first, and after that, try to play with some good emu/softwares.

Use magic Report

Props
Online time
0 Hours
Post time 18-8-2017 23:55:09 |Show all posts
PentiumMMX replied at 21-6-2017 23:37
Thanks! Really appreciate your feedback.
There's more works to do and more bugs to fix, I'll co ...

thanks, I'm glad all these tests were helpfull, it's great to hear you still working on fba, I'm impatient to test the next version.

Use magic Report

Props
Online time
0 Hours
Post time 28-8-2017 12:21:43 |Show all posts
Hi, I made some new tests with the news builds (C68K & A68K) that were posted on GBATemp few weeks ago so I post the copy of the results here if it could be helpfull :)

For the A68K version, there is not much to say, it is faster but more buggy and less compatible, the C68K version is very useful, it's a very good complement to the original version, here is the list of cps 2 roms tested that work with the C68K version on ds lite :

The C68K build seems to support cps 2 roms with 12Mo size (4Mo better than the original build !)

On DS Lite, when you load a game, after playing, when you want to change the game, it's necessary to leave fba and going back to the dstwo menu, then after relaunching fba, you can change the game, if you don't apply this method, most of the time, you'll have a black screen if you load 2 cps2 games in the same gaming session without leaving fba in between.

Suggestions for the C68K :

The C68K is a good way to complete a little bit the arcade catalog on ds but maybe like MAME4ALL (with differents .plg files) few builds are needed to get a complete emulator so maybe it will be usefull to change the path to create a new folder where to put the cps roms, I mean into the FBA4DSTWO folder where you can find the roms folder for the classic version, then this could be useful and really make coexist the C68K version and the original version on the same sd, it would be nice to create a second directory where the C68K can find its own roms, this could avoid mixing the roms that work on the original version with the roms that do not work on the C68K version and vice versa, I think especially roms like captcomm.zip, kod.zip, wof.zip or for the cps2 roms that doesn't work on the original build.

1. a new path for a new folder (ex: /FBA4DSTWO/romsCPS/)
2. pre-setting the Skip Frames at 65% by defaut
3. size scale option (normal size / big size)
3. "black screen crash" needed to be fix between two cps2 loadings
4. a sleeping mode (if it's possible to desactivate it by touching the bottom screen, it could be great)

There is a problem with the sleeping mode on the A68K version, when we have finished playing, when we want to return to the menu of the dstwo, it turns off the top screen, we are forced to turn off and to turn the console back on to solve the problem.

For roms bigger than 12mo, I've tried to make cache file with FBA Caching Script for NEO-GEO, CPS2 and FBA roms (http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,73,151) it works fine for the ds2linux fba version but it doesn't work for FBA4DSTWO (original, C68K & A68k), is there a way for FBA4DSTWO to recognize the .fba files ?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Archiver|Mobile|SuperCard   

23-9-2017 15:49 GMT+12